Kansas State University Libraries Office Specialist II in Manhattan, Kansas
About This Role:
The Office Specialist II manages the Diversity and Multicultural Student Affairs (DVMSA) office and provides administrative support to departmental staff. Acting as the office receptionist, this position has daily involvement with multiple clients, including students, parents, faculty and staff, and the general public.
Why Join Us:
The Diversity and Multicultural Student Affairs Office (DVMSA) is committed to promoting diversity in every sector of Kansas State University. The DVMSA provides vision and leadership in diversifying all university functions as well as students, faculty, staff and the curriculum.
The DVMSA appreciates the broadest spectrum of human diversity and the need for the university to be fully inclusive. The overall quality of education an institution provides depends, in part, on this broad-scale inclusivity.
This position is benefits eligible: health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, tuition assistance program, paid time off- vacation, sick and holidays.
To learn more visit: http://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks individuals whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's dedication to the Principles of Community.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Receptionist Duties: Welcome guests to the Office of Diversity & Multicultural Student Affairs (DVMSA) and announce their arrival to the appropriate administrator. Determine the needs of all visitors and clients. Prioritize information received from administrative heads, faculty, staff, students, parents, employers, donors, advisory board members, alumni and the public. Determine the level of significance and priority for referrals to appropriate resources. Refer callers and visitors as appropriate if information cannot be given directly. Advise departmental staff on processes, procedures and services. Verify details for appointments and gathers background information as needed.
- Administrative Support Duties: Provide administrative support and serve as the receptionist for the Office of Diversity and Multicultural Student Affairs, including the Associate Vice President, Directors, and other staff. Also provides administrative support for coordinating all DVMSA major campus-wide events, logistics, and materials. Works to ensure the smooth operation of the department on a day-to-day basis. Serves as a resource for staff regarding basic fiscal, personnel, and office policies and procedures. Manages the office functions, oversees student staff, and provides service for administrators. Manages workflow by assigning tasks to student employees daily, ensuring that deadlines are met and work is completed correctly. Coordinates work relevant to the academic, fiscal, purchasing, employment, and payroll administration for the department. Coordinates the calendars of the DVMSA staff and Associate Vice President, as needs dictate. Includes managing the calendars by scheduling and coordinating meetings/events, creating notices for meetings, completing agendas with provided information, sign-in sheets, and other meeting materials as needed or requested. Provides administrative support to multicultural student leaders and their advisors with departmental organization needs. Coordinates travel arrangements for the DVMSA staff. Manages confidential information. Develops and maintains hard copy and electronic filing systems. Assists in preparing reports and correspondence. Creates spreadsheets for tracking and managing program data. Maintains data tracking and management. Creates listservs, power point presentations, and graphics. Provides the primary support for meetings of the College Leadership Council, Commerce Bank Award, Martin Luther King Observance Week Planning Committee, and the Student Advisory groups. Assists the DVMSA staff with communications to members of committees under their leadership. Provides word processing support for DVMSA staff. Prepares and modifies documents including correspondence, reports, drafts, memos and emails. Coordinates maintenance for office equipment in the DVMSA Office and the MSO Office. Includes computers, scanners, copiers, fax machine, etc.
- Financial and HR Duties: Assist the Administrative Support Center (ASC) in regard to DVMSA financial activities, as well as for student groups. Includes purchasing goods and services, ensuring the items are allowable charges prior to purchase, verifying invoices charges with order, submitting invoices to ASC for payment, providing BPC statements, etc. ASC processes all financial documents. Assists the Holton Hall Business Office (HBO) in regard to all HR related activities. Includes notifying HBO of new hires, separations, position changes, salary changes, coordinating time and leave requests, requests for time documents, etc. Submits needed HR documents to HBO for processing. HBO processes all personnel, payroll, and recruitment documents. Assists with generating reports for grants and corporate gifts. Maintains office inventory to ensure adequate supplies are available.
- Other Duties as Assigned: Provides additional support or duties as requested.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- One year of relevant experience
- Associate’s Degree or higher.
- Three (3) years of experience in general office or clerical work. Proven experience as an administrative assistant or office assistant.
- Knowledge and proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Outlook, Excel, and Power Point.
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures.
- Knowledge of office equipment (copiers, printers, fax machine, etc.)
- Knowledge of procurement practices and procedures, including university policies and regulations.
- Knowledge and experience in higher education.
- Excellent analytical skills, attention to detail, accuracy, proofreading, organizational skills, and ability to multi-task.
- Excellent skills in time management and the ability to prioritize work. Includes a high level of initiative in completing duties quickly and accurately.
- Excellent skills in management techniques that foster teamwork, creativity, and problem solving.
- Ability to work with critical deadlines and perform multiple tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in written form.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and representatives of other agencies and/or departments.
- Ability to lead by example – work ethic, integrity, positive attitude, etc.
- Ability to work in a diverse environment.
* *Other Requirements:
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Three professional references that include complete contact information (name, title, phone number, email address)
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately. For best consideration, apply by April 27, 2018.
Salary Range/ Pay Rate:
$26,272-$39,409 annual rate/ $12.63-$18.95 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670009340 Diversity Multi Studnt Affairs
Job no: 503620
Work type: Staff Full Time (USS)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Administrative / Professional, Office / Clerical
Advertised: 17 Apr 2018 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled