Kansas State University Libraries Painter in Manhattan, Kansas
About This Role:
Our team of painters transform places into fresh new spaces for students, staff, faculty, and guests. Duties include interior and exterior prep work and application of paint in living spaces, offices and public spaces. Will perform some specialized painting; replace and repair masonry surfaces and tile; and apply epoxy floors.
Why Join Us:
Housing and Dining Services is a large, self-operated auxiliary department serving more than 6,000 students that call the K-State campus home. This "home away from home" meets more than the basic needs of students living with us — we provide affordable, safe and engaging accommodations and services for our residents, while finding unique ways to support them in their academic pursuits.
We offer a team oriented workplace with the opportunity to interact daily with students and staff alike. Our positions include a generous comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays, vacation leave, health insurance, tuition assistance and retirement plan. To learn more visit: http://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits/
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks individuals whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's dedication to the Principles of Community.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Prepares and finishes interior surfaces. Removes old finishes using chemical removers, hand tools and power tools. Cleans, patches, plasters and sands surfaces.
- Mixes, blends, tints, prepares primers and finish coats for application by brush, roller and spray gun.
- Prepares and finishes exterior surfaces for application of prime and finish coats. Cleans, strips, scrapes surfaces following safety regulations and procedures.
- Weatherproofs masonry walls, decks and other like areas by cleaning, caulking, glazing, sealing and/or painting.
- Prepares and finishes dry wall by applying tape, a variety of patching products and joint compound to achieve proper surfaces for paint application.
- Textures ceilings using proper materials and equipment.
- Installs, patches or replaces ceramic and quarry tile by removing broken pieces, repairing substratum, cleaning surfaces, selecting matching tile, using proper mastic to affix new tile. Grout joints, caulk corners and outside edges, and seal surfaces to protect against damage and deterioration.
- Assists in the preparation and application of epoxy floors.
- Selects, uses, maintains, cleans, and protects tools and equipment by using proper cleaning techniques and materials, making needed repairs and storing items in a proper and secure location. Maintains records of work performed. May serve as lead worker on assigned projects. Performs other related duties as assigned.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
*Minimum Requirements: *
- 6 months of relevant experience
- 2 years painting experience at the journeyman level.
- Knowledge of techniques, tools, equipment, and material used in the trade and the ability to apply knowledge in practical application.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety requirements.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing. Knowledge of methods of preparing surfaces for painting and other methods of finishing.
- Valid drivers license upon employment.
- Yearly certificates of pulmonary function test and physical examination maybe required for spray painting, asbestos removal and/or lead paint interim control/abatement.
- Completion of KSU Lead Safety workers program within six months of employment and annually thereafter.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please complete online application.
Screening of Applications Begins:
March 27, 2018 and continues until positions are filled.
$14.21 - $21.31 per hour
Actual salary will be determined based on the candidate's experience, education, internal equity and departmental funding. Salary offers are typically made between the minimum and midpoint of the salary range. The range indicated includes both the typical hiring range and potential future progression.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670009200 Department of Housing & Dining
Job no: 503463
Work type: Staff Full Time (USS)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Facilities / Grounds / Skilled Trades, Customer Service
Advertised: 02 Apr 2018 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled