Kansas State University Libraries Program Assistant in Manhattan, Kansas
General Description of Position:
The Food Science Institute (FSI) is seeking qualified applicants for a Program Assistant, which is a full-time position. Job duties include but are not limited to:
Provide daily administrative support to the director of the FSI, food science graduate and undergraduate program chairs, and food science faculty. Support FSI director in detailed management of financial accounts. Coordinate the development, updating and maintenance of FSI-associated promotional materials, social media, FSI newsletter, and weekly email updates (Monday Morning Update). Monitor FSI programs to determine status and work with the director, faculty and staff to implement program changes when needed. Provide program information and guidance to current undergraduate and graduate students in on-campus and distance/on-line programs, and with prospective students and alumni. Process applications for admission into the food science graduate program, monitor graduate students' progress towards degree completion, and communicate with advisors to ensure that Graduate School requirements are met. Manage the FSI student recruitment booth at selected professional conferences and events, and follow up on prospective student leads and inquiries. Coordinate the FSI Academic Resource Center. Supervise and assign duties to FSI student employees. Organize travel to and participation at professional conferences for faculty, staff and students. Provide support to the Food Science Club and student competition teams.
- Provides daily administrative support to the Director of the Food Science Institute and maintains close communication with faculty, staff, students and food industry.
- Organizes the participation at national and international conferences for faculty, staff, and students.
- Manages the Institute's University and Foundation accounts. This includes accounts receivable and accounts payable for all Institute accounts.
- Monitors Institute programs to determine status as well as implement and communicate corrective actions.
- Manages the Institute’s promotional booth at national and international conferences to recruit students into the food science programs, specifically the online program.
- Coordinates the FSI Academic Resource Center (textbook program) and oversees the needs of new textbooks according to each semester.
- Schedules meetings with food industry companies related to student internships and job opportunities.
- Co-coordinates undergraduate and graduate promotional materials.
- Assists the Food Science graduate program chair with communication to current graduate students, prospective students, alumni, and the food industry with regards to on-campus and online education in food science.
- Screens and processes applications for admission to the graduate program using CollegeNet, tracks graduate student progress and coordinates with advisors relative to student's missing requirements or any issues related to progress in the program.
- Creates and maintains a database of all food science graduate students on-campus and online.
- Provides information to Global Campus regarding online students.
- Assists food science faculty with correspondence, room scheduling, making copies and travel arrangements.
- Provides assistance, guidance, and advises faculty and students regarding program requirements.
- Assists the Food Science undergraduate program chair by providing information for undergraduate student reports.
- Monitors undergraduate students during field trips to national and international conferences.
- Provides support to the Food Science Club adviser.
- Schedules prospective undergraduate student visits with faculty and undergraduate program recruiters.
- Assumes the leadership role to make decisions based on experience and accommodates student visits as needed.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Requires a high school diploma and one year of relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience relative to office management and higher education
- Extensive experience in university accounting - Eforms
- Experience in higher education student services (K-State Online and KSIS or similar learning management and student information system)
- Experience using CollegeNet or similar graduate application system
- Highly proficient with technology, including skills with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), on-line calendaring/scheduling and email, and Internet research.
- Good time management skills and the ability to work effectively when interruptions occur
- Good oral and written communication skills and working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse groups within a multicultural environment and a with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently or as a team member
- Demonstrate problem-solving, critical thinking skills and analytical skills; including the ability to analyze administrative problems, make recommendations for improvement, and take appropriate courses of action.
- A working knowledge of and ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies, and procedures.
- Broad exposure to a variety of areas of higher education administration.
Physical Activities and Environmental Conditions :
Standard office environment and equipment. Must have a valid driver's license upon employment. Must be willing to work occasional weekends, evenings and overnights.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please complete the online application and submit/upload the following documents:
- Cover letter demonstrating expertise to fulfill job responsibilities
- Current resume
- Names and contact information for three professional references (name, title, phone number, & email address)
Screening of Applications Begin:
Screening of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$29,556 - $44,335
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Follow the link to find out more. "EEO is the Law" Poster.
Kansas State University actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to The Principles of Community which can be found at https://www.k-state.edu/about/community.html
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee. Kansas State University complies with the requirements of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Department: 3670010250 Food Science Institute
Job no: 503450
Work type: Staff Full Time (Unclassified)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Administrative / Professional, Agriculture, Office / Clerical
Advertised: 19 Mar 2018 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled