Kansas State University Libraries Veterinary Technician Intern (Veterinary Health Center) in Manhattan, Kansas
About this Role: The Veterinary Health Center (VHC) with the College of Veterinary Medicine is seeking applicants for Veterinary Technician Interns. This limited term position provides an opportunity for professional growth in the Kansas State University Veterinary Health Center. An outstanding graduate veterinary technician will be selected to obtain high quality, enhanced technical experience and training through employment in defined specialty areas. Objective of this position is to enhance employee marketability for private practice and/or assist with obtaining two years of post-graduate experience to qualify for future Veterinary Technician II openings in the KSU-VHC.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the* Principles of Community.* **
Duties / Responsibilities: Duties may include:
- Providing hands-on assistance in the below specialty areas, such as:
- Equine medicine
- Farm animal medicine
- Large animal surgery
- Small animal ICU
- Small animal medicine
- Small animal surgery
- Technician is expected to assist in regular, scheduled procedures required in the assigned section, to include assisting clinicians and students in handling and restraint of patients, preparing rooms and necessary equipment for procedures, assisting with patient preparation, maintenance and cleaning of rooms and equipment and stock rotation.
- Other duties in the KSU-VHC as requested by supervisor, section head, Hospital Administrator, or Hospital Director by following procedures and protocol developed for the KSU-VHC. Performance will be reviewed by technical supervisor, Hospital Administrator and Hospital Director for results achieved.
- Examples of additional responsibilities may include:
- Perform minor maintenance and cleaning procedures on instrumentation and equipment.
- Become proficient with the Hospital Information System so that medical information may be easily entered from terminals in work areas.
- Be available to provide periodic stand-by coverage during some daytime and/or weekend periods.
- Demonstrate behavior that is conducive to harmonious working relationships with peers, students, faculty and supervisors.
- Establish and maintain good work habits
Required Minimum Qualifications: Completion of a two year college program in animal or veterinary technology accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- One year of experience in animal or veterinary technical support.
- Ability to maintain and use ordinary veterinary medical hospital equipment.
- Physically able to handle, restrain and provide medical services to domestic animals.
- A working knowledge of operating room sterile technique procedures is preferred.
- A knowledge of standard emergency veterinary medical procedures is preferred.
- Ability to perform word processing and data entry on a personal computer.
- Willing and able to master new techniques.
- Demonstrated interest in a specific clinical discipline.
- Excellent communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants: To apply, please submit an application along with a cover letter, resume, official transcripts and contact information for three professional references.
Screening of Applications Begins: Screening of applications begins immediately. Start date for the class will be in June 2018.
Salary Range / Pay Rate: $ 11.48 - $ 17.22 per hour
Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670080070 Veterinary Health Center
Job no: 503149
Work type: Staff Full Time (USS)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Veterinary Medicine, Medical
Advertised: 19 Apr 2018 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled